Getting the closest possible shave with an electric razor is something that pops up in pretty much every discussion related to electric shaving.
And there’s really no surprise in that; after all, don’t we all just want a close and comfortable shave?
Switching to an electric shaver also implies some sort of a compromise; we’re trading off a bit of closeness for the added benefit of comfort and practicality.
Naturally, we’re interested in trading off as little as possible from that much sought after closeness.
Luckily, today’s modern electric razors are capable of providing very close shaves while still remaining adequately comfortable.
But to put it bluntly, some electric razors are simply better than others. And that begs the question:
Which electric shaver shaves the closest?
Well, when it comes to closeness, the more advanced, powerful shavers will usually provide significantly better results and we’ll be taking an in-depth look at some of the razors that offer the closest shave later on in this article.
Let’s get started!
What to look for in a razor if closeness is the main concern
- A high-quality shaving head. This is by far the most important component of an electric razor and is particularly relevant in the context of closeness; sharp blades and an advanced micro-foil, machined with very low tolerances, are vital for a close shave.
- A powerful motor. An electric razor that is fitted with a more powerful motor will shave closer, faster and with greater comfort. As an example, Panasonic uses for its top of the line razors very fast 14 000 CPM (cycles per minute) linear-drive motors. Compared to entry-level, basic shavers that use 8000 CPM units, the difference is night and day.
- Low heat dissipation during use. A razor that is comfortable during use will also allow you to shave closer, do more strokes and even apply a bit more pressure. Comfort is tightly correlated with the heat caused by the friction between the blades that operate at high speeds and the foils. Therefore, you’ll want a razor that remains reasonably cool during operation.
Foil vs Rotary — which one shaves the closest?
While the foil vs rotary polemic is multifaceted with solid arguments from both sides, when it comes to the closest shave an electric razor can provide, it is generally accepted that foil razors are better.
This is also my personal stance on the matter. Having used quite a few foil and rotary razors throughout the years, I constantly found foil shavers to be that much better at providing a closer shave.
In my opinion, there are a few reasons why foil shavers offer the closest shaves:
- The micro-foils are thinner than the metal guards used on rotary shavers, meaning that the physical barrier between the skin and the actual cutting blades is smaller in the case of foil shavers, allowing a closer shave.
- They use reciprocating blades that oscillate at much higher speeds; as a downside, this also means more noise during operation compared to rotary shavers and possibly more heat generated by the friction between the foils and blades.
- The actual design and operation of the foil razor; the straight cutting edge and the use of short strokes allow more control and precision.
There are of course men who get better results using rotary shavers. In the end, it all comes down to personal preference and anecdotal findings should not be regarded as absolute truths.
Let’s now see which electric shavers will give you the closest shave.
What are some of the closest shaving electric razors?
1. Panasonic ES-LV9N-S Arc 5
Panasonic electric razors represent a very solid option if you’re mainly concerned with shaving performance.
In my experience, they even manage to outperform the other big name in the foil shavers camp (Braun) if we consider strictly the closeness of the shave.
If you want the absolute best in terms of closeness and budget is not really an issue, then look no further.
The ES-LV9N-S Arc 5 represents the latest and greatest (well, not quite THE latest anymore) from Panasonic and is probably the electric razor that can get as close to a blade as possible with the current technology.
This shaver uses the same high power 14 000 CPM motor and excellent 30 degrees blades as the older Arc 5 razors, but comes with a few novelties of its own:
- Two comfort rollers that prevent the foils from being pressed excessively into the skin;
- The shaving head can also be depressed; this, combined with the 360-degree swivel makes this razor extremely adaptable and capable of maintaining constant contact with the skin, even when shaving difficult areas like the jawline or the neck.
The aesthetics and build quality of the razor compared to previous Arc 5 models are also vastly improved, with the use of more upmarket materials and a classy color scheme.
The massive head with its 5 cutting elements is able to effortlessly shave close to the skin even the coarsest facial hair.
The middle trimmer and the two flanking foils are designed to cut longer hairs that lie flat on the skin, reducing them to a more manageable length for the two outer finishing foils.
The comfort rollers ensure a smooth and gentle glide of the shaver, improving the comfort of previous Arc 5 razors. This makes the ES-LV9N-S also somewhat suitable for men with sensitive skin.
While shaving is a very personal matter and the results depend on many factors, I think it is safe to say that the ES-LV9N-S Arc 5 probably shaves closer than any other electric razor you can currently buy.
The ES-LV9N-S variant also comes with a cleaning & charging station. While Panasonic’s cleaning stations aren’t absolutely necessary, they can be useful if you want a complete fuss-free experience.
The only downside of this Arc 5 razor is the price; being a new model, it is rather high. The same goes for the replacement foils and blades, which cost quite a lot at this moment.
But again, if the purchase price is not a constraint and you want the closest shave of any electric razor, this is the one to have.
2. Panasonic ES-LV65-S Arc 5
The Panasonic ES-LV65-S Arc 5 is a more budget-friendly, but still very capable razor from the second generation Arc 5 line of shavers.
There are various models included in the Arc 5 family, but all of them share the same important features:
- high-quality stainless steel blades that are sharpened at a very aggressive 30 degrees angle and ensure efficient, close and effortless cutting;
- 5 slightly curved cutting elements that together form a massive shaving head, capable of shaving large areas with ease and also very fast;
- 14 000 CPM linear-drive motors that provide plenty of cutting power at a constant rate.
All these features work together seamlessly to ultimately provide an extremely close shave. My personal pick from the previous Arc 5 line has to be the ES-LV65-S as it offers the best performance for the price.
The ES-LV65-S is part of the second generation Arc 5 that paved the road for the latest ES-LV9N-S presented above. However, they are very similar specs-wise and the ES-LV65-S is still a highly capable machine today, definitely one of the best electric razors for getting a really close shave.
While the comfort of the newer ES-LV9N-S Arc 5 is slightly superior, this razor will be more than adequate for most men looking for a very close shave at a more affordable price.
The performance is pretty similar throughout the Arc 5 family of shavers and picking one mainly comes down to your budget and the need for a cleaning station.
Speaking of which, my recommendation is to skip it altogether as Panasonic foil shavers are dead easy to clean manually. By going for a shaver without a cleaning station like this ES-LV65-S you’ll also be saving some money.
Being an older model, it’s likely to be found at an excellent price. For more details you can check out my complete Panasonic ES-LV65-S review.
3. Panasonic ES-LA63-S Arc 4
If your budget is limited, but still want the closest shave for the money, you’ll have a hard time finding a better razor than the Panasonic ES-LA63-S Arc 4.
Considering its price, the performance of this particular shaver is quite spectacular. I can only attribute this to the fact that it incorporates some of the technologies found on the much more expensive razors from Panasonic, like the ones presented above.
Here are the key features that make the Panasonic ES-LA63-S Arc 4 an excellent choice for a close shave:
- Powerful 14 000 CPM motor;
- 30 degrees high-quality stainless steel blades;
- 4 individual cutting elements;
- A second motor located in the shaving head that vibrates and helps capture longer hairs.
The result of these features is an incredibly close shave, definitely one of the best you can get in this price range.
Granted, the newer, more advanced and much more expensive razors will be better, but this one is no slouch either. I highly recommend it as a more affordable, budget-friendly option to the razors above.
4. Panasonic ES-LF51-A Arc 4
Another fantastic performer when it comes purely to closeness is again a shaver from Panasonic excellent Arc 4 family, the ES-LF51-A.
Extremely similar to the ES-LA63-S presented above, the ES-LF51-A comes equipped with the same punchy 14 000 CPM motor, has 4 individual cutting elements and uses the same excellent 30 degrees nano-blades.
To keep the price low, it lacks the second vibrating motor located inside the shaving head.
However, when it comes to getting a very close shave, that doesn’t really make a difference. Moreover, the shaving head of the ES-LF51-A is more compact, making the shaver a lot easier to maneuver.
Unsurprisingly, the closeness provided by the ES-LF51-A is identical. And that’s a good thing. I would also recommend it over the ES-LA63-S to men just getting started with electric shaving as the smaller head makes it easier to use.
Like all Arc 4 models, the ES-LF51-A can often be found at a bargain price.
5. Braun Series 9 9290cc
The Series 9 represents Braun’s flagship line of electric razors and incorporates the best technology the company has to offer.
Braun’s electric shavers are notorious for being supremely comfortable during use.
The very popular Series 7 790cc was for many years the benchmark in terms of comfort, but was often thought to be not quite as good as some of the offerings from Panasonic regarding the closeness.
The Series 9 was designed to address this issue and to offer the closest possible shave, while also remaining very comfortable and gentle to the skin. And it pretty much lives up to the expectations.
Being basically a Series 7 on steroids, with more blades, more power and more technology on board, the new Braun Series 9 builds upon an already solid foundation and represents a very compelling package.
There are a few variations of the Series 9, suitable for dry only or wet & dry operation. They are also available with or without a cleaning station.
My personal pick would be the 9290cc as it can be used wet & dry and comes with Braun’s excellent cleaning station, arguably one of the best in the industry. You can also check out my detailed review of it here.
The shaving performance of the Series 9 9290cc is outstanding.
So why only the fifth position for Braun’s ranging topping razor?
While it is difficult to objectively say if it shaves as close as the Panasonics, in my experience it wasn’t quite as good.
It was definitely more than adequate and I think most men will be perfectly satisfied with the closeness, but compared side by side, even the Arc 4 models were slightly better.
Panasonic shavers are generally better at providing a closer shave, while Braun excels at comfort.
And the Series 9 really is supremely comfortable and shaving with it is a real treat.
If you have very sensitive skin, but still want a close shave, the Series 9 9290cc is probably the best you can currently buy.
While a cleaning station was not really necessary for the Panny, you’ll definitely want one with your Series 9.
A manual cleaning is fiddly and time-consuming and you never seem to get all the hair clippings and dirt out of the shaving head, no matter how thorough you are.
The alcohol-based solution that provides excellent cleaning and lubrication, along with the reasonably quiet and fast operation make this cleaning & charging station a must have.
The Series 9 gets a bonus point for the purchase price of the shaver, being lower than the one of the newest Arc 5 shavers.
The cost of the replacement blades and foils (92s/92b cassettes) has also dropped significantly and the price is now quite reasonable.
I highly recommend the Series 9 for men with sensitive, blemish-prone skin as it is by far the most comfortable shaver on this list.
Tips to further improve the closeness of the shave
Now that you’ve hopefully settled for one of the closest shaving electric razors, let’s see how you can make the most out of it.
I wrote a comprehensive article on how to improve the closeness of the shave with an electric razor and I highly recommend reading that one as well. You can do so here.
With that said, I will only briefly compile a few tips that can help you with getting the closest possible shave with an electric razor:
- Try shaving with a quality shaving cream. All the recommended shavers in this article can be used wet and dry. Oftentimes the addition of a shaving cream improves the closeness and the comfort of the shave. Give it a try and see how it goes.
- Use a pre-shave lotion or powder. If wet shaving is not an option, try the next best thing: a pre-electric shave lotion or powder. This can significantly improve the performance of your razor during a dry shave and help you get a closer shave.
- Properly charge, clean and lubricate your razor. This one is pretty self-explanatory. You can read more about how and when to lubricate your electric shaver here.
- Replace dull blades and worn foils. The foils and blades of your electric razor will eventually wear out and you’ll need to replace them with new ones. Always buy original replacement parts that were designed specifically for your particular razor. Spending money on replacement foils and blades is no fun, but it’s vital for a close shave and safe operation.